Author Topic: Painting Teeth  (Read 10529 times)

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
Re: Painting Teeth
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
my friend who paints eyes on a black base uses Windex (he says any blue window cleaner will work) to thin his paint.  He says it reduces the dry time between coats.  Have you tried this?

I haven't tried it - it DOES sound like a really really bad idea though... - alcohol and dye (which is mostly what blue window cleaner is, with, possibly, vinegar added...)

Um... you could probably use it to REMOVE the paint?

That which does not kill me - has made a grave tactical error - Jerry Pournelle

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »
Why we must wait for the paint to cure? My acrylics when they dry, they are dry for good, and even by rubbing them with a wet brush they don't come off...And that takes around 5 minutes, and they are good to go.

Ah? - ok - good for you!

My liquitex and whatever-the-cheap-brand-is-I-forget both dry beautifully... but if I don't give it time to cure ALL the way down, it can cause problems when I want lots of wet brush strokes atop it.  The bottom layers soften, and then lump up.  It's just a better idea to make sure your 'undercoat' is FULLY dry.

Offline security16

• Swapers
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
Before

After

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
okay, I did some research...
Acrylic does not mean water based..thats a big misconception (From ArtLex.Com) Acrylic paints - Synthetic paints, with pigments dispersed in a synthetic vehicle made from polymerized acrylic acid esters, the most important of which is polymethyl methacrylate.

and...

And the cheaper or thicker the paint the more important medium becomes.

Acrylics cure by the linking of acrylic polymers into long molecular chains.  If too much water, washerfluid, soap, alcohol, etc. is used, the acrylic is "stretched" too far and can't form proper links.  It will typically dry too rapidly and leave a rough finish.  The airbrush medium contains acrylic polymer in order to guarantee that there is sufficient acrylic present to properly link and form a strong paint film.  If thinning with just water ,washerfluid, alcohol the odds of the paint lifting or chipping are high because unlike other additives, the acrylic polymer in the medium doesn't evaporate and thus acts like a clear paint.

although specific to airbrushing, it seems relevant to any artist using acrylics...however, the writer of those words gives no supporting evidence, so your mileage may vary.  If you seal the paint, then what you use to thin it would seem less important in terms of chipping and peeling....

That said, my Windex thinned paint worked well, nice even coverage...now if only the painter could get steadier hands... LOL
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:33:38 AM by LadyG »

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
okay, I did some research...

YUP!!

ALTHOUGH... sealer isn't really a 'cure all' - if you've got too much besides paint in your paint... you're still going to have problems if you're not careful with it.

BUT... it DOES sound as though you can use alcohol as an acrylic paint thinner doesn't it! (I still don't think I WOULD... but it sounds as though you can?)

:hug1:

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 10:39:26 AM »

That said, my Windex thinned paint worked well, nice even coverage...now if only the painter could get steadier hands... LOL

WOOT! - congrats on a successful experiment!

My hands shake too... if that helps?

I'll have some stuff to say about it with tomorrows lesson - and then probably hold a class specifically on combating it! :grin1:

Offline security16

• Swapers
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »

WOOT! - congrats on a successful experiment!

My hands shake too... if that helps?

I'll have some stuff to say about it with tomorrows lesson - and then probably hold a class specifically on combating it! :grin1:

Same bat time same bat channel??

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »
cool... although I may just not have the "stuff" to be a repainter.
my try:

Offline mystic

• Swapers
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
my try:

Now don't start that.  This is your first time and I believe that you have done a great job of it.  My first time I had the white of the teeth covering half the lips.  And besides, with instruction your teeth are bound to turn out better than my first try.  For give the picture as it blurs out the fact there are seperate teeth there.  Kind of sketchy teeth though.
Can't keep a good doll down

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
my try:

Meh - I'm with Mystic, - STOP THAT!!

You will do JUST fine, I said so! :grin1:

Cynthia

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
Are those My Size Barbies? I missed out on the in-between chitty chat.
Oh well, nhitty night!!!!

Offline security16

• Swapers
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
Are those My Size Barbies? I missed out on the in-between chitty chat.
Oh well, nhitty night!!!!

Mine is just a huge Walking type doll i found at an op shop she's going to be Logans special little girlfriend!

Cynthia

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Shes super cute!!

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
Re: Painting Teeth, Step 3
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »
Otay, I mucked up - I added another color of paint to the supplies... You'll need a payne's gray, pewter, gray, a warm mid-tone shade, in other words...

(the picture also shows black, but I didn't use it... :grin1:)

Annnnnd as long as we're talking paint? - your final lip color needs to influence the colors you choose to use on her teeth!! - If you're going for bright pink lips? - use a gray instead of a brown for the dividers and lining - if you're going for a bright dramatic red? - mix the brown and gray... if you're going for an 'autumn' type color THEN you use the straight brown.

OKAY!! - This.... is the hard part.  I'm not kidding - THIS ONE... is a major pita and takes forever and all sorts of adding more paint, taking it off, going back and trying again, on and on.

You'll want a drop of your brown and a drop of your goosefeather - retarder/exteneder, water, paintbrush... and, ya know patience....

Paint a thin line of your brown along the LIPS right at the break when they turn into teeth.

Doesn't that sound easy? - heh

Feel free to drag extra up into her lips...

To remove paint you've just applied (and this, my dears, is why I insisted the base coats should be fully cured) load your brush with water paint over what you've just done with plain water, wipe your brush, touch it to the dolls face where you need to absorb the water, wipe your brush etc...

If the muck about is in an accessible place, by all means scrape it off with the point of a toothpick! :grin1:

What you see here is probably 5-6 coats in places - putting it on, taking it off, edging it in goosefeather, back and forth and fighting... SO much fun! LOL

THIS, if nothing else, needs to be done as close to perfectly as you can manage... THIS is the important step! - Everything else can be mucked about with - but this one... counts.

Come chitty chat to tell me you're done, and I'll post the next step!