Author Topic: What do you want to learn?  (Read 6441 times)

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
Re: What do you want to learn?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »
...this kind of dramatic lighting?

Offline zoeybird

• Swapers
    • You're a Doll
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
I'd like to learn that and posing. I am not good with posing a doll. I think I know what looks good and then it looks unnatural.

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 04:06:57 PM »
Posing, I might be able to help with that.  I do okay, I think.  Let me put on a thinking cap and figure out how to do an online class on it.  Or at least a tutorial.

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »
...this kind of dramatic lighting?

OOOOOOH - EXACTLY that kind of dramatic thing!!! - I try stuff like that and I end up with 'low-light-blurry' focus and I STILL don't get the killer shadows!
That which does not kill me - has made a grave tactical error - Jerry Pournelle

Offline dezeradoll

• Swapers
  • ummm.. because Yes!
    • Me on Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
face mods. like resculpting cheeks and noses. also giving a molded hair dolls real hair. like thoes annoying plastic haired ken dolls.
"Get your Sparkle on." - Barbie

Offline zoeybird

• Swapers
    • You're a Doll
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
Oh making wigs would be a great class. I've tried to make a wig and it looks like poo!

Offline Star

• N00b
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
Breast implants and reductions, haha. Implants I'm sure are simple but I'd like to know how to make them naturalish looking, well blended. Reductions...I have no clue where to start.

Offline partydolly

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »
*I* want to know (off the top of my head):

What tools do I need to sculpt foam?  Where do I get them?

What paints do YOU like?

How do you get dramatic lighting on your dolls?

I will post some tutorials on foam carving. There are so many things you can use for tools. Traditional, stone carving tools can be pricey. So I'll gather links and ideas, for what you can use at home.  A sharp knife or a small saw is necessary. Exacto makes a cool mini saw blade. You can use rasps, riflers, chisles and hand made tools. The wood handled, metal loop tools that are made for clay are your best bet because they are reasonably priced. But some things can be carved just a small knife and sanding sponges. Like you are *whittlin'* It does depend some on what you are making. I owe you a tut, with a discussion on tool choices. I could do a class, I have already sent foam to 3 forum members. Would you like a chunk of foam Tanya? I'll send you some so you can play with it.  :grin1:

Also...I found I get the dramitic lighting in my photos, when I use my photobooth and there is only one source of light, (as opposed to several light sources), that you can direct and point towards your subject....but I'm still learning and experimenting too.  :purfecthug:

Offline partydolly

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »
Posing, I might be able to help with that.  I do okay, I think.  Let me put on a thinking cap and figure out how to do an online class on it.  Or at least a tutorial.

:woohoo: Yes, posing. I would love to learn more about posing!...and proping w/o the benefit of photoshop tools.

Offline Cyndrome

• Swapers
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 04:18:52 AM »
I have made a decent Afro wig from hairy wool, I can make a tut about that. I'm also still going to do the tattoo tut, but that's been very behind schedule... Maybe I can turn them into a class? Only time wise I have to see how that works! Oh... other idea... skype anyone? We can do a conference call?

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »
Also...I found I get the dramitic lighting in my photos, when I use my photobooth and there is only one source of light, (as opposed to several light sources), that you can direct and point towards your subject....but I'm still learning and experimenting too.  :purfecthug:

You can get more dramatic by not using the diffusing box.  One light source, without diffusion, you don't need to worry about low light problems.  The closer the light, the more sharply defined the shadows (as you expose for the lighted portion of your doll/set, underexposing the shadows, making them very dark, very dramatic.)  The more diffuse the light, the softer and smaller the shadows.  What you need to watch out for is the automatic exposure setting on your camera - it will automatically expose for a balance between the light and shadows, ruining the effect you're going for. 

Now, some automatic cameras, things like the autofocus are centered.  We've all learned that when photographing two dollies with autofocus, the background will often be in focus, but not the dollies.  So you center the camera on one dolly, press the shutter halfway down to set the focus, hold it and turn the camera to frame both dollies before fully depressing the shutter.  So check your camera's auto settings - if the metering is also done from a central point, use the same technique.  Center your camera on the light, shutter half down to hold the setting, then move the camera to frame the subject as you like.

If your camera has manual settings, all the better! You control the exposure with shutter speed (f-stop) and aperture.  Without a seperate light meter, you'll still need to play around with f-stop and aperture to get the effect you're looking for, but hey, it's digital - you can check instantly.

This should be in a different thread, shouldn't it?  LOL

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »

You can get more dramatic by not using the diffusing box.  One light source, without diffusion, you don't need to worry about low light problems.  The closer the light, the more sharply defined the shadows (as you expose for the lighted portion of your doll/set, underexposing the shadows, making them very dark, very dramatic.)  The more diffuse the light, the softer and smaller the shadows.  What you need to watch out for is the automatic exposure setting on your camera - it will automatically expose for a balance between the light and shadows, ruining the effect you're going for. 

Now, some automatic cameras, things like the autofocus are centered.  We've all learned that when photographing two dollies with autofocus, the background will often be in focus, but not the dollies.  So you center the camera on one dolly, press the shutter halfway down to set the focus, hold it and turn the camera to frame both dollies before fully depressing the shutter.  So check your camera's auto settings - if the metering is also done from a central point, use the same technique.  Center your camera on the light, shutter half down to hold the setting, then move the camera to frame the subject as you like.

If your camera has manual settings, all the better! You control the exposure with shutter speed (f-stop) and aperture.  Without a seperate light meter, you'll still need to play around with f-stop and aperture to get the effect you're looking for, but hey, it's digital - you can check instantly.

:woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo: I luvs you LOTS!!!  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:

(yes please... :grin1:)

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 07:49:57 AM »
Hand sewing and drafting patterns to resizing adult patterns........

You want Dale Rae for this:
http://www.dalerae.com/Enlargepattern06.htm

Scroll down... and there are detailed and horribly complicated instructions?
They WORK though....

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
Noel Cruz's dolls are awesome, but I've seen one in real life. There's a lot of camera and lighting techniques that makes his dolls look so life like. My Tonner dealer owns his Victoria and she's a beautiful doll, but she didn't look how I expected in real life.

I'd like to know how to sew and make patterns. I have some really cool outfits in my head with no idea how to make them. I can sort of hand sew, but if it comes to something more than a plain stitch I am in trouble. Also cutting and styling hair. I've seen some cool hair cuts on dolls that I have no idea how they did them.

Yesssss, well, he's gotten better at THAT too! - it used to be very obvious that he'd photoshopped his dolls, now it's hard to tell? :grin1:

You're not making use of the resources at hand honey.... um - go here:
http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Dolls/OOAKtipssewing.php

Print out the silly 'blank' doll pic - sketch your design and post it! - I will GUARANTEE that somebody here will lend you a hand! - we can't help with what we don't know about?

Same with the hairstyles - show us what you want to do - and I'm sure somebody will chime in with how to do it!

:hug1:

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »

I will post some tutorials on foam carving. There are so many things you can use for tools. Traditional, stone carving tools can be pricey. So I'll gather links and ideas, for what you can use at home.  A sharp knife or a small saw is necessary. Exacto makes a cool mini saw blade. You can use rasps, riflers, chisles and hand made tools. The wood handled, metal loop tools that are made for clay are your best bet because they are reasonably priced. But some things can be carved just a small knife and sanding sponges. Like you are *whittlin'* It does depend some on what you are making. I owe you a tut, with a discussion on tool choices. I could do a class, I have already sent foam to 3 forum members. Would you like a chunk of foam Tanya? I'll send you some so you can play with it.  :grin1:
 :purfecthug:

Well 1) what's a rifler?

and 2) you are SUCH a doll and I would LOVE some foam... I really really would! - the thing though... I currently have me a stack of projects that need or should or even I WANT to get done... that's taller than I am? :grin1:  Sculpting me a backround whatsis is absolutely on my list... but... has to be fairly far down the list... :sigh:

THANK you thank you though!  :sad: