Author Topic: Basic Sewing Class  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
Re: Basic Sewing Class
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:04 AM »
How about some sleeves...all of my sleeves keep coming out wonky and it takes many adjustments to make it right. Is their a trick to sleeves?

OH! - easy fix! - mark the center.... - put a pin at the center of the upper sleeve (fold it in half, pin it) LEAVE that pin in.... THEN gather.  Gather INSIDE the seam allowances - ie. leave 1/4 inch on either side.  Keep the pin in, pin the center of the sleeve to the center of the shoulder seam.  Pin both sleeve edges to the front/back of the garment, futz with the gathers until their even on both sides, pin them firmly in place, THEN sew....

Should help?   :hug1:
That which does not kill me - has made a grave tactical error - Jerry Pournelle

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble and i know how ya feel (except the lack of feeling part) which is why i hate hand stitching!  I really hope you feel better soon it really sucks to not be able to be creative because of stupid physical limitations!
Silly me thought you might have abandoned the idea due to lack of interest but i'm thankfully wrong. Perhaps you could team up with someone for this

Heh - even ONE person being interested is enough to have me make a tutorial!! -  :grin1:

I've mde the pattern and cut it out - I just need to spend a day sewing.... and as soon as I can hold a needle I will?

Hugs honey!

:hug1:

Offline fairysquisher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »
Have we told you lately how awesome you are to do this for us?
 :pouncehug:
You ROCK!
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life."

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
any updates on this?  I know a few people who think sewing is too hard, but are realizing the custom ordering clothing is a little hard on the wallet. 

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
any updates on this?  I know a few people who think sewing is too hard, but are realizing the custom ordering clothing is a little hard on the wallet.

WELL! - I've made the pattern, and cut it out in heavy silk and something else I think... but not a thing is gonna get done or even thought about until after Monday... which is when my child leaves for Basic... DO step up and say something - say... Wednesday?

:hug1:

It'd be great to have something (anything) to do to take my mind off the empty house!  :grin1:

Offline Linsilee

• Swapers
  • Formly known as Moonwillow
    • Moon Realm
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
Now that I am getting caught up on stuff a little bit, I would like to squeeze into my time this class. I should be good for anything during the day on the weekdays. I do have a doll meet this coming Monday though.

Offline Cindy Jo

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
Could you explain to me how taking this class or any other is done?

Thank you.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:15:01 PM by Cindy Jo »
Cindy Jo

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 05:48:17 AM »
Could you explain to me how taking this class or any other is done?

Thank you.

:laughhyena:  Well..... for this particular class.... FIRST... you have to kick me so I manage to get back into gear!  :blush: - and then... ahhhh hahah wait patiently? :grin1: (or, ya know... NOT)

In a couple days I'm gonna start another contest - this one a tutorial contest... anyone who wants to make their tutorial into a class is PERFECTLY welcome too!

All the classes are is tutorials, broken down into sections with the author of said tutorials hanging out on the chat board so people can ask questions while they work...

If you're interested in taking ANY class - go here:
http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Dolls/Forum/index.php?topic=1807.0
and give us the times you can be on-line and 'working' (don't forget to tell me your time zone! [or country, or whatever])

Then when a class is 'proposed' (like this one  :blush:) post to say you're interested...

The person holding the class will go through everybody who said they were interested and try to accommodate as many as possible, given their OWN schedule.

Each class will have it's own thread and if you can't be on the board and chatting you can still read the tutorial and ask questions in that thread...

Clear as mud?  :grin1:

Offline Cindy Jo

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
Well, the good thing about disability is that I'm retired and any time is good. LOL!
Cindy Jo

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Alva Edison